- Deadline: Monday 24th February 2020, 9am UK
- Job Title: Communications Officer
- Reporting to: Head of Communications (based in the USA)
- Start date: April 2020
- Location: Remote/Home-based, location flexible but preference given to time zones which overlap with MST or GMT. Candidates must already have permission to work in the country of their location.
- Hours: Full-time preferred (5 days, 37.5 hours per week) or part time (4 days, 30 hours per week)
- Duration: 12 months, with 3-month probationary period, thereafter renewable annually subject to funding.
- Pay: £25,000 - £30,000 per annum pro-rata, depending on experience. This post will have a contract or consultancy agreement subject to UK law. PAYE contracts can be offered to UK-based applicants.
Background Founded in 2009, the Institute for Human Rights and Business (IHRB) is the leading international think tank on business and human rights. IHRB’s mission is to shape policy, advance practice and strengthen accountability in order to make respect for human rights part of everyday business. IHRB is recruiting for an experienced and dynamic Communications Officer to support its Head of Communications and programme teams with communications support across all of IHRB’s areas of work. Under the supervision of the Head of Communications, the Communications Officer will be responsible for servicing the day-to-day external ’voice and face’ of IHRB, i.e. its website, social media, and written outputs; liaising across IHRB staff and teams to ensure smooth and efficient coordination of communications activities; as well as consistently and continuously strengthening IHRB’s brand and raising the overall profile of our work. The Communications Officer will work closely with the external website developers to deliver more complex website design requirements. The Communications Officer will work from their home and will report to the Head of Communications (based in the USA). Communication will mostly be via Skype or e-mail and the Communications Officer must ensure they have a suitable place of work to include a good internet connection. Duties and Responsibilities Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting the Head of Communications in developing new and creative approaches to IHRB’s communications work, including unexplored avenues, mediums, and partnerships.
- Servicing IHRB’s website for all design and content needs (in close coordination with the IHRB’s website developers).
- Designing, producing, publishing, and disseminating IHRB’s print, video, and online materials.
- Continually developing IHRB’s presence on key social media platforms (design and engagement).
- Assessing the reach and effectiveness of IHRB’s communications through full utilisation of analytics tools.
- Supporting IHRB events through the production of targeted communications material (eg social media campaigns, video content creation, slide decks, banners, promotional materials, event follow up, and more).
- Maintaining a database of contacts for effective communication of IHRB’s outputs and complying with data protection regulation (eg GDPR)
- Working closely across IHRB’s international teams to ensure effective coordination of communications tasks.
- Other duties which may be required by the Head of Communications, which are commensurate with the responsibilities of the role.
Person Specification The successful candidate will have: Qualifications Essential:
- University degree or vocational certificate/diploma in relevant field.
- Education/certification in Adobe InDesign
- Experience of operating content management systems (CMS)
- Experience of operating the Adobe Creative Cloud suite, in particular Adobe InDesign
- Experience in developing and implementing social media strategies amplifying organisational key messages and outputs
- Experience of coordinating multiple communications activities across geographically and thematically diverse teams, on time, and within specification
- Experience of working in an unsupervised environment on a regular basis and working with a ‘virtual’ team in varying time-zones.
- Experience of work in the not-for-profit sector.
Knowledge & Skills Essential:
- Excellent ICT skills including across Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Cloud programmes.
- Competency using Apple products, eg iPhone, Macbook, etc
- Excellent communication skills and co-ordination across teams and time-zones.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to plan, organize, and prioritise workload and meet deadlines.
- A strong work and team ethic.
- Experience of using telecommunications applications (Skype, Zoom)
- Experience of using cloud based file storage
- Experience of GDPR compliance in the context of external communications
Personal Qualities Essential:
- Proven ability to be proactive and self-motivating.
- Attention to detail and ability to maintain a high level of accuracy in preparing and presenting information.
- Creativity and the ability to contribute innovative ideas and new ways of achieving organisational objectives
- An interest in the field of human rights.
- Home based
- Permission to work in the country of location
- Deadline for application: Monday 24th February 2020 at 9am UK.
- Interviews: Video interviews will be held on Thursday 5th March 2020 by Zoom. Short-listed candidates will be notified and invited by email by COB Thursday 27th February 2020. Only successful applicants will be notified. Interested applicants should ensure their availability for a two-hour slot on Thursday 5th March – the interview will take place during the first hour, after which candidates will be asked to complete a timed one-hour design task, using their laptop and to be received and submitted by
- Expected start date: April 2020
- Application Instructions: Please email your CV and cover letter with two referees to Vanessa Bissessur at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter you must address the above person specification to show your suitability for this role, and indicate how many hours work per week you are applying for (the post can offer 4 or 5 days per week). Please also indicate where you saw the vacancy advertised. Any job offer will be subject to at least two satisfactory references for the successful