Creative Communications Lead
Creative Communications Lead CanDo is on a mission to enable local humanitarians to provide life-saving healthcare in communities devastated by war. We believe everyone is a humanitarian. Together we channel resources where they have the biggest impact and can save the most lives: on the front lines, in local hands. Do you want to join us? We are looking for a committed creative and world class communicator to develop and implement our communications strategy, creating campaigns and content that reach a diverse audience, amplify our message and elevate our work and that of heroic local humanitarians. This is a great opportunity to join our diverse and dedicated team to build on and develop our pioneering work and support the growth of our organisation. We offer great flexibility in working arrangements. We work remotely, so you can work with us from anywhere with good wifi signal and within a 4 hour time zone of GMT. You can organise your working hours to suit you and your other commitments as long as you are available for virtual meetings and are able to travel from time to time for face to face meetings. Who are we? CanDo is a start-up social enterprise that transforms the way the world supports war-affected communities. Inadequate resourcing of local humanitarian organisations is preventing millions of people from receiving life-saving aid, causing excessive suffering and unnecessary deaths around the globe. Research and our experience of working with local humanitarians in war-torn Syria led us to realise that while they deliver 75% of the humanitarian work, they receive less than 1% of direct funding. CanDo is mobilising a global community to resource local humanitarians to lead agile, effective, cost-efficient health interventions. Our crowdfunding platform is pioneering people-to-people aid by connecting local humanitarians with global citizens, philanthropists and strategic partners who will support their health projects. Despite being only two years old we have successfully funded health projects and services ranging from secondary care, to psychosocial, hygiene and nutrition, directly reaching over 75,000 people (predominantly children) and benefiting over 315,000 people in war-torn Syria. Our founder and CEO, Dr Rola Hallam, is regarded as a global thought leader. She is an advocate for the protection of civilians and the upholding of medical neutrality, the localisation of humanitarian aid and women’s rights. Rola is the first Syrian TED fellow and her talk has had over 1m views, we have secured a 3 year partnership with the Asfari Foundation and started a transformative partnership with Google with the support of over 30+ engaged Google volunteers. Our Mindset We believe in working for change with Optimism, Courage, Connectedness, Pioneering and Openness. Our values shape our relationships with all our stakeholders and how we work as a team. We approach each other with open hearts and minds; we listen, we respond, we support and encourage. We love a good sense of humour and positivity, and a willingness to get involved and go the extra mile. Job description Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the CEO and team, in particular with the Marketing and Digital lead, to define the communications priorities for CanDo.
- Review, develop and implement our communications strategy based on those priorities.
- Support the Digital and Marketing Lead in CanDo’s brand development, ensuring consistent brand language and tone of voice for CanDo communications.
- Develop and lead on the implementation of CanDo’s PR strategy to raise the profile of the organisation and build a strong community, working with the CEO and Marketing and Digital Lead.
- Build and maintain relationships with key media contacts, draft and distribute press notices, media comments, features and letters to editors.
- Lead the organisation’s relationship with the CanDo community: encouraging two way conversations, supporting and amplifying individuals stories and facilitating peoples involvement Produce content for our various audiences across multiple channels, including email, website and our blog.
- Manage photographers, designers and videographers to produce high-quality multi-use content.
- Manage CanDo’s Mailchimp account and email journeys including community onboarding.
- Support the Social Media Manager to implement the social media strategy, ensuring that posts are high-quality, effective and on-brand.
- Support our local humanitarian partners with their communications needs, including mentoring, training, advice and guidance in line with our partner support programme.
- Provide communications support to internal departments, including copy editing, proofreading and provision of communications information for reports, funding applications, presentations, op eds etc.
- Collect, analyse and use data to inform communications planning and delivery, working with the team and external partners as appropriate.
- Contribute to CanDo’s evolution as a humanitarian organisation by participating fully as a member of the team.
Person Specification Qualities We are looking for someone who:
- Has the heart of a humanitarian and the mind of an entrepreneur.
- Isn’t afraid to go the extra mile to raise our profile and build our community.
- Is organised, motivated, resourceful and skilled at handling a busy workload.
- Pays meticulous attention to detail.
- Is aspirational, loves to learn, and treats failure as a teacher, not an enemy.
- Enjoys working in a collaborative team environment.
Experience and skills Essential
- Track record of developing, implementing and evaluating creative communications strategies
- Track record of delivering fundraising or social change campaigns that have impact
- Track record of working with and achieving coverage in traditional and digital media outlets
- A strong news sense and ability to tell a story well and produce high quality copy for different audiences - including press, social media, email and websites
- Experience of managing and building engaged social media communities
- Experience of managing and delivering a supporter email programme, using tools including MailChimp
- Ability to work with partners to provide communications advice and guidance, enabling them to tell their stories and promote their campaigns effectively
- Experience working under pressure with excellent time management and organisation
- Experience turning communications around quickly to reflect situation on the ground
- Ability to manage photographers, designers and videographers to deliver effective communications
- Ability to work with subject matter and images that can at times be extremely harrowing
- Ability to travel internationally if required
- Experience in journalism
- Familiarity with Drupal-based CMSs
- Experience in or understanding of the humanitarian sector
- An understanding of the Syria context
- Spoken and written Arabic
Details This is full-time post Preferred Start Date: ASAPInterviews will be held the w/b 25th March via Zoom conferencing. How to Apply: Please submit a CV which includes your full contact details, including address, and a detailed supporting statement which clearly addresses how you meet the points on the person specification and explains why you want to join our team. Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org In the subject line use the format: Creative Comms<Your Name> and include in your email where/how you found out about this post. We are a small team and if we receive a high volume of applications may not be able to respond individually. If you have not heard from us within a week of the closing date, please assume you have not been shortlisted. Thank you