Digital Advocacy and Engagement Expert
Digital Advocacy and Engagement Expert – 2 month project role UNISON is the UK’s largest trade union and we are looking for an expert in digital advocacy and engagement platforms to join us for 2 months, to help improve our digital campaigns capability. You will work in the campaigns team to help us update and improve our core digital systems, particularly focussed on Engaging Networks. You will need to be organised, able to negotiate across departments, liaise with external suppliers and ensure we are GDPR compliant. However we are also looking for someone with a strategic eye and flair for creative ideas, to share best practice and offer advice on how we can campaign better, in a digital-first environment. Scope of work
- Update our data storage systems, liaising with colleagues to ensure GDPR compliant data transfers and storage.
- Update users and access restrictions, liaising with regional colleagues.
- Create guidelines and update template instruction manuals.
- Liaise with internal departments and external suppliers, to agree governance and processes.
- Create a regional roll-out plan and presentation.
- Work with a developer to improve our templates. (Or if the candidate also had the skills to do this, it would be highly desirable.)
- Work closely with our digital team to better integrate our systems/tools.
- Appraise our tools and campaigns, to share best practice advice and ideas.
Skills and experience
- Engaging Networks knowledge is essential. (Similar advocacy and engagement platform experience will be considered but the candidate will need to demonstrate their ability to hit the ground running.)
- Understanding of how petitions and email to target actions are used to build campaigns.
- Able to ensure we comply with GDPR.
- Able to work collaboratively and with sensitive judgement, across internal departments, including campaigners, organisers, IT, data protection, regional staff, communications and digital colleagues.
- Digital campaigning experience - understanding of how to influence on major issues, working with a range of stakeholders, and public audiences.
- Good project management skills, being able to plan project work in a structured way that allows others to understand what will be delivered and when.
- Able to meet deadlines and prioritise.
- Experience of using creativity to solve problems and innovating to increase the impact of digital campaigning.
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills and the ability to work with remote teams, supporting others and contributing to team decisions.
- Able to brief and work with external suppliers.
About UNISON UNISON is the UK's largest trade union, with 1.3 million members, including NHS staff, care workers, education, local government and outsourced companies. We represent members, negotiate and bargain on their behalf, campaign for better working conditions, pay and funding for public services. Our members have been on the frontline of the fight against COVID-19, which has made our job to support them busier than ever. At the same time, the world and campaigning environment has rapidly changed, as we are all relying on digital channels more than ever. We are looking for someone to support us in upgrading our digital systems and building our confidence and capability to deliver change for our members, in a digital first environment. Fees and timeframe
- Up to £250/day
- This is a 2 month consultancy, payable by monthly invoice
- Start date ASAP
How to apply Please send your rate, CV and a brief covering note about why you are suitable for the role to Rachael Henry at firstname.lastname@example.org by 4 December. If you have any questions about the role, email Rachael at email@example.com to arrange a convenient time if you would like a brief chat.