The Syria Campaign is recruiting a MEDIA MANAGER to join its small and creative team. We are looking for someone who thinks ambitiously, is a natural storyteller and deeply committed to working with Syria’s activists to shine a light on the human rights abuses taking place on a daily basis. This is a part-time position for three days a week until December 2020 with the possibility of extension and a potential permanent position beyond then. The position reports to the Communications Director and can be done remotely, with European and Middle Eastern time zones preferred. Application Deadline: Open until filled. We will be conducting a first review of applications on 3 March 2020, and encourage all applicants to apply by then. This role will remain open until we find our all-star new member. THE SYRIA CAMPAIGN The Syria Campaign is a small, fast moving and powerful human rights organisation that has impact through stories, news and campaigns. We work to support Syria’s heroes in the struggle for freedom and democracy, partnering with civil society partners inside and outside the country. Nine years since the Syrian people took to the streets to demand freedom and democracy, there are still millions of civilians at risk of deliberate targeting for military attack, hundreds of thousands of people remain illegally detained and disappeared, and there has been no accountability for the victims and survivors. The Syria Campaign works to keep Syria in the international spotlight to increase the cost of attacks on civilians, help build the power of civil society, advocate for a vision of real peace and justice and build international solidarity with the Syrian people. We’ve raised the profile of Syrian groups such as the White Helmets rescue workers, helping secure them millions of dollars to continue their life-saving work and making them famous around the world. We’ve supported the Families for Freedom, a women-led movement of the families of the disappeared in Syria, to ensure their demands are heard. We work with dozens of partners across Syria who trust us deeply. Syria is full of heroes and we’re privileged enough to work with them. We have to fight hard to make sure the issues that matter to us and our partners get the focus and support they need. We refuse to let Syria disappear from the attention of the world, and we will work until we see justice served. The media manager will play a key role in helping The Syria Campaign tell stories that stop the heart and move the mind. We want an ambitious, creative storyteller to join our small Syrian and international team. What you’ll be responsible for
- Obsessively thinking about news and new ways to engage people. Working with our partners to identify stories and explore ways to tell them across traditional media and digital, as well as pitching to mainstream and digital media to secure coverage.
- Building relationships with traditional and digital media and connecting them with human rights activists and civilians in Syria to get their voices heard.
- Lead on the development of social media and communication strategies, developing ideas for creative communications tactics and digital campaigns that see our followers and engagement soar.
- Train and support partners and civil society to tell their stories across digital, broadcast and print channels and support members of the campaigns team to produce and deliver digital packages for their projects.
- Direct, produce and edit video and audio for the organisation’s channels and deliver creative products that break through the noise and reach new audiences.
Qualifications We’re looking for an all-star member of the team, someone with creative flair and a nose for news. A successful candidate will demonstrate:
- A proven track record delivering digital or media campaigns that have impact
- A proven track record working with traditional and digital media outlets
- A strong news sense and ability to tell a story visually
- Experience pitching to editors and collaborating with media to tell stories
- Experience working in fast-paced, high-risk, challenging contexts
- Experience of managing budgets and project teams to deliver specific projects
- Experience creating content for social media
- Strong written English across a variety of formats [social, news, reports]
- Commitment to a free and democratic future for Syria and human rights
- Arabic language is strongly preferred but not essential
- Proven ability to work on a remote and global team
The deal The Syria Campaign is committed to making sure everyone on the team is happy, productive and motivated. Here’s how we do that: Salary is competitive and in line with international organisations. The job is remote and can be done anywhere in European or Middle Eastern time zones. We have team members in New York, Berlin, the UK, Morocco and Canada and provide you with a space in a co-working office wherever you are based. We have full staff retreats every year to keep us connected. We provide budget, time and support for your professional development. We give 25 days of leave a year, public holidays and discretionary break over the end of year holidays. We offer family friendly parental leave policies. We are an equal opportunity and inclusive employer and encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply. We do not and will not discriminate on the basis of age, race, nationality or citizenship, gender expression or identity, religion, economic background, disability, or sexual orientation. To apply for this role, please send a CV to email@example.com with a cover letter describing why you’re the ideal candidate. Please put ‘Media Manager’ in the email subject line.