Campaign Manager (German Language)
Summary SumOfUs is looking for a campaign manager to help us win campaigns against corporations behaving badly. If you love fighting for change, if you are excited about global economic justice, and if you are hungry to experiment with technology to change the world, then this might be the role for you. This role will primarily focus on curbing the abuse of corporate power in Germany, German-speaking countries/regions, and at the EU level and will report to our campaign director in Europe. Our members power our work and we put them at the center of everything we do.The campaign manager is responsible for identifying impactful campaigns, developing winning tactics and leveraging our member’s power to create fundamental shifts in corporate behaviour and to reshape the global economy for the benefit of people and the planet. This role requires fluency (written and oral) in German and familiarity with the political and corporate landscapes in Germany, other German speaking regions, and/or the EU. The position is full time and remote and can be undertaken by anyone living between GMT -1 and GMT +2 hours. A bit about us SumOfUs is a global movement of consumers, investors, and workers standing together to hold corporations accountable for their actions and forge a new and sustainable path for our global economy. We are a movement of more than 20 million people, brought together by a global team of 40 campaigners, fundraisers, product and operations staff who are passionate about creating a more caring, equitable society. We are aiming to fundamentally reshape the global economy to put people and planet over profit, but we know we can not do it alone. We build partnerships with on-the-ground activists and organisers, and we follow their lead. We innovate, experiment and embrace professional and organizational growth. We invest in people and we invest in how we work, because our vision calls on us to build the most effective, global, diverse, and talented team possible. We highly value a diverse team and an equitable work environment where every member of our team is set up to thrive. We have taken steps to nurture this environment including an Anti-Oppression Leadership Team that leads work to transform injustice within the organization. We expect all team members to take responsibility for co-creating an equitable work community where everyone is able to do impactful, world-changing work. We offer benefits including additional sick days for parents and caregivers, flexible working hours, and professional development stipends. We review our policies and practices for equity frequently. We encourage people identifying with marginalized communities to apply. What you’ll do as part of our team
- Lead project and campaigns teams with support and oversight from our Campaign Directors to achieve impact, fundraising, and organizational goals;
- Identify, research and develop campaigns targeting corporations in German speaking regions, across Europe, and globally;
- Write and edit (and/or translate) compelling emails to engage and mobilize our members to take action, fundraise, and build our power in Europe;
- Identify and develop fundraising opportunities to raise money to grow our movement and create real-world impact;
- Collaborate with partners and coalitions around campaign opportunities, manage relationships, and advance SumOfUs’s goals;
- Draft press releases and (with support and training) pitch reporters to cover our campaigns; and
- Assist with managing our membership lists, including monitoring and interpreting how people engage with the emails we send, if the emails are effective in generating action or raising money, and if the email list is growing.
Skills and experiences you’ll need to bring We have no formal education requirements – if you can meet the responsibilities of the role and are willing to grow, that’s all that matters. All roles at SumOfUs require you to:
- Be dedicated to building a fairer and more sustainable global economy;
- Write 1-2 impactful and compelling emails to our member list per week;
- Communicate in English (English is our primary working language at SOU);
- Demonstrate an active commitment to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive work community;
- Work remotely (SumOfUs provides funds to set-up a home office or to work from a co-working space).
This role in particular requires you to:
- Identify and develop inspiring and impactful campaigns;
- Have excellent writing and storytelling skills with a solid understanding of campaigning;
- Have an understanding of political process and how change happens on this level (particularly in Germany or the European Union - you will likely have an understanding of one or both of these regions);
- Have effective team development and leadership skills, experience managing projects and mentoring staff;
- Demonstrate a supportive and empathetic people management style with a growth oriented mindset;
- Be keen to learn and develop new skills, be flexible and solutions oriented;
- Be fluent in German and English.
Big pluses We know that no one can possibly have all these skills and experiences - you will likely be able to bring 2 or 3 of the following to our team:
- Strong relationship building skills, able to forge and manage relationships with people and organizations working on similar issues or projects;
- Experience setting and tracking goals to successful delivery with teams;
- Understand basic data analysis;
- Experience designing and running experiments and A/B tests;
- Experience in working with media (eg with writing press releases and doing interviews);
- Experience with market campaigns, shareholder activism, or corporate accountability issues;
- Experience working with politics (decision makers).
How to apply We don’t find cover letters particularly helpful in seeing how someone might fit a role. Instead, use the form below to upload your resume and your answers to the following questions in English.
- Why are you applying for this job? (suggested word limit: 200)
- Name two campaigns you think SumOfUs should be running (suggested word limit: 300 words each). One campaign should be something you think is going to engage all of our members around the world, and one campaign should be something you think will engage our German speaking members. Make sure to include the target of the campaigns and the “ask”. Check out examples of our campaigns at sumofus.org/campaigns for inspiration.
- Briefly share your approach to team leadership and coaching team members to success.
- List which of the “big plus” skills above you have, with a few words of explanation if that is useful.
Your answers to the application questions will only be used for recruitment purposes. Applications will be open until the role is filled. We will be reviewing and processing applications on a rolling basis and we encourage you to apply early. Further details Compensation is competitive and will be determined based on a combination of experience, seniority, and location. (For some context: this position in Germany would pay between €51,000- €77,000 EUR per year depending on experience and seniority; the compensation level will be adjusted in other regions.) SumOfUs is a fully remote and distributed team, as such we offer stipends to offset cell phone and internet costs. We offer stipends to set-up home offices or to rent space in a coworking environment. We offer five weeks paid vacation (plus additional sick leave and all major public holidays off and 6 months paid parental leave), contributions to retirement, and the ability to work from home and work with a degree of flexibility outside our core hours of operation. We cover private health insurance premiums for employees and dependents who live in countries without public insurance. We are happy to answer any questions you have about our leave policies and other, similar benefits. SumOfUs is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of SumOfUs to provide equal employment opportunity to all applicants for employment and employees and not to discriminate because of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, personal appearance, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, or political affiliation. Equal employment opportunities will be provided in employment, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, demotion, layoff, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.