Greek Language Consultant
Greek Language Consultant Savvy and talented Greek writer and translator. Language Associates sit at the core of Avaaz’s campaigning work - translating campaign communications read by millions of people each week, from English into key languages, creating compelling and powerful opportunities to take action across the world. This is an exciting position at the heart of one of the most innovative and promising public organisations in the world today. It offers a unique structure and team to help develop and pursue large scale social change efforts. As a Language Associate, in addition to translation you may also support and help lead the research, development, and running of campaigns on a range of national and global issues, helping to channel the time and money of our members in the most effective ways possible. This position will report to one of Avaaz’s campaigns staff. About the role The ideal candidate will be an excellent writer in Greek as they compose all Greek materials produced by Avaaz. Needs to be able to write concisely and informally in an emotional and active voice. More than a simple translator, we need someone who can interpret Avaaz campaigns and "make them sing" in Greek. This job will suit someone with a flexible schedule who is able to work on tight deadlines. Reports to: Languages & Campaigns teams Hours: Part-time: Minimum 20 hours a week Timeline: rolling, please apply ASAP Main duties and responsibilities
- Take English Avaaz campaigns and turn them into sharp and compelling Greek language campaigns -- translating/editing all relevant materials, and working on the Avaaz backend intercafe to create web pages and emails in Greek.
- Looking for sources for campaigns -- finding relevant, issue-specific, supporting materials from the press, NGOs, etc.
- Reviewing, managing and supporting the petitions published by Greek members on the Avaaz Community Petitions website.
- Working with campaigners to coordinate materials in Greek, such as briefings to Campaigns team, press releases, and conducting research
- Monitor the Greek Avaaz website for functionality and language errors: typos, grammatical errors, etc.
- Professionalism, efficiency and results-oriented delivery on short timelines.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Greek.
- Previous experience in campaigning/journalism/writing/translating in Greek.
- Able to pick up easily and use Avaaz’s writing style guidelines.
- Passion and commitment to global justice, citizen empowerment and social change.
- Strong teamwork skills, comfortable in a highly collaborative team culture and a hierarchical team structure.
- Knowledge (or willingness to learn) basic HTML code.
Location: Anywhere in Europe Avaaz is a global organization, with most staff working collaboratively in a "virtual office" environment from four continents; staff can reside wherever they wish. Compensation and Benefits Salary varies with location and experience but is highly competitive with leading nongovernmental organizations. Benefits also range with the location but include 5 weeks paid vacation per year pro rata.