Head of Operations
Job title Head of Operations Reporting to Chief Executive Grade Salary £40,000 per annum FTE Hours of Work Full time (4 days will be considered) Location Bristol – Albion Dockside Building Probationary Period 3 months Holiday 36 days per annum pro rata, to include bank holidays Contract Type Permanent Closing Date Midnight on Sunday 9th February About City to Sea We’re a not-for-profit organisation campaigning to stop plastic pollution at source. Through our digital content and campaigns, we are raising awareness of the issue and changing behaviour, making sure people know that wherever you live, your actions affect our oceans. We exist to awaken active hope, champion practical solutions and inspire positive action that serves to protect and restore wildlife, rivers and seas. City to Sea are behind the award-winning Refill campaign, which is estimated to have prevented 100 million plastic bottles from entering our waste stream by 2019. Our Values
- Earth kind.We don’t just appreciate nature, we love it. Nature is our best buddy, our trusted advisor and our most important board member.
- Positive.We praise progress and listen to all perspectives, whilst remaining authentic. We believe a tickle is better than a punch and keep our messaging upbeat and playful.
- Brave.We take risks with our content and embrace our mistakes. We dream big and make magic happen.
- Creative.We keep our messaging simple when facing complex issues. We improvise, imagine and inspire, embracing diversity and seeking inclusion.
- Balanced.We’re a critical friend and trusted peer. In a world of fake news and greenwashing, we take our time to find out the facts and evaluate our impact.
Purpose of the role To ensure we are financially, legally, ethically and environmentally compliant always. Scope of the role City to Sea is now looking for a Head of Operations to manage and improve the central services and systems in the organisation. You will be part of the Senior Management Team and will support and where appropriate occasionally deputise for the Chief Executive or other Heads of Department. You will manage the Operations team and will be the strategic lead for the central services. A key focus of this role is the creation and maintenance of efficient processes and work-flow systems to enable a creative and collaborate environment, enhancing our ability to deliver great work. You will also need to understand the key commercial drivers in the organisation and support the CEO in developing new strategies for sustainable growth and impact. Ultimately, you’ll ensure our operations run smoothly and that people are productive. Your team consists of:
- HR Manager
- Office & PA Admin (Line managed by the HR Manager)
- Finance Manager
- Research & Insights Lead
- Sustainability and Behaviour Change Consultant
About you We are looking for an ambitious and highly experienced senior professional who will take responsibility for the management of the day to day operations. You should be a responsible leader with an analytical and strategic mind and have a broad knowledge of the business. If you’re also committed to productivity and compliance, we’d like to meet you. The successful candidate will demonstrate the following qualities:
- Have a strong connection to City to Sea’s purpose and core values.
- Previous track record in a similar operational lead role for 5+ years, with a focus on delivering excellence and a high attention to detail.
- Extensive experience of budget management and managing contracts with customers, vendors, partners and other stakeholders
- Knowledge of local and international laws (e.g. data protection) to ensure the organisation is always compliant. Part of this will be ensuring consistent use of operational standards.
- Be a key driver of our delivery process, reviewing and engineering the way we deliver work to drive greater clarity, efficiency, satisfaction and impact. As such significant experience of producing and implementing policies, procedures and processes is essential.
- Experience at change management and inspiring teams to embed new processes, specifically around embedding Customer Relationship Management databases. Demonstrate the ability to take a pro-active and well considered approach where new procedures and platforms are to be implemented.
- Ability to anticipate the growth of the organisation both in terms of delivery, new campaigns, budget, and staffing. Ensure that this development has a planned and realistic time-frame with the operational enhancements that this may require.
- Experience of working in an environment that promotes equality of opportunity and collaborative working to deliver non-discriminatory services.
- Ability to set and manage own and central team priorities, objectives and deadlines while maintaining a focus on the key priorities.
- You’ll be tenacious, and be up for the challenge, you’ll thrive in an ever-changing landscape.
- Overall you will be looking for a role you can truly call your own and be looking to make a real difference.
What we expect from you …
- To be a positive force for change and a proud flyer of City to Sea’s flag!
- To attend and contribute to supervision and appraisal process, meetings, training, and other events as required.
- To travel to meetings in the UK, which may require the need to work unsociable hours e.g. attending evening or weekend meetings or for overnight stay.
- To ensure that all responsibilities and activities within this post are in accordance with the terms and spirit of City to Sea’s mission, vision, values, objectives, policies, procedures and practices.
What you can expect from us …
- An onboarding process to help you get up to speed.
- Monthly management meetings with the Chief Executive to help resolve any issues and support your professional development.
- A positive, solutions-focused working environment.
- Flexibility on your working hours – results over rigidity!
Please apply for this role here. Closing date: Midnight on Sunday 9th February Though all applicants will be treated equally regardless of sex, race or other status we particularly welcome those from black, Asian and minority ethnic groups.